Sumo Digital is one of the UK's most prolific and secure independent game developers with a talented team of over 280 staff currently based in Sheffield. A second UK studio in Nottingham opened in March 2016 and has rapidly grown to a 45 strong team with many fantastic new opportunities on the horizon.
Since our inception in 2003 we have had a string of successful titles across all gaming platforms for partners that include Microsoft, SEGA, Sony, Disney and many more.
Our most recent successes include Forza Horizon 2 (Xbox 360), LittleBigPlanet 3 (PlayStation 4, and PlayStation 3), Disney Infinity 3.0 Toy Box Speedway (multi-platform), and our first self-published title Snake Pass (multi-platform). We are also incredibly proud to be working on the highly anticipated Crackdown 3 (Xbox One) and Dead Island 2 (multi-platform) plus several other exciting but yet unannounced projects.
2018 will be Sumo’s biggest and best year ever. Come and be part of it.
Sumo is looking for 2 highly creative Senior Concept Artists at their Sheffield studio. The first position is on the studio Concept Team and focusses on presenting many new exciting and stimulating ideas to publishing partners and internal teams. The second position is working as part of an experienced and passionate project team delivering an exciting AAA title and is an incredible opportunity for those who want to leave their mark on an already established, multi-million selling franchise. These roles are both employed full-time and 100 % based in-house at our Sheffield studio in the UK. Remote or part remote working applications will not be considered.
For both positions, we are looking for versatility and rapid iteration; the ideal candidates will revel in the diversity of opportunity and be keen to embrace every stylistic challenge, from cartoon to hyper-real – and will have the kind of over-active imagination that never stops coming up with new ways to interpret a given brief or add an unexpected twist of surprise to every concept that comes their way.
We are looking for inspired and inspiring artists who can over-deliver the unexpected.
• Both positions are purely hands-on creation of concept pieces to drive the direction of a project or concept presentation.
• Responsible for creating and iterating on ideas whilst maintaining the artistic vision of the Studio Creative Director or Project Art Director.
• Maintaining quality, consistency whist mentoring more junior concept artists.
• Ensuring that briefs are delivered to spec and on time working with production to maintain the concept schedule.
• Able to work in multiple artistic styles.
• Fast concept and iteration of ideas across all aspects of the brief.
• High levels of aesthetic ability, judgement and eye for detail.
• Excellent composition, lighting and colour theory skills and appreciation.
• Excellent communication skills.
• Self-initiating, confident approach to their work;
• Keen understanding of cultural influences beyond games; movies, books, TV, comics etc.
• Ideas generation and iteration.
• High quality illustrative pieces.
• Demonstrable talent across all concept disciplines in particular figurative and environment work.
Desirable skills and experience:
• Shipped at least one AAA title.
• 3D modelling and rendering.
• Experience working in film, TV, publishing.
We offer a super benefits package including generous holidays, flexitime and excellent employee benefits. Further perks include our legendary annual Sumo Big Day Out, plus epic Christmas parties, money on your birthday, on site free gym and free fruit for everyone! Our new, regular studio Game Jams are a highlight - staff spend a full day developing and pitching their own game ideas for possible development by Sumo.
Our environment is relaxed, friendly and built upon the basis of every team member having the opportunity to shine and have a realisable input into the games we create. We are a very happy ship with lots of incredibly nice people that partake in shared interest groups, lunchtime clubs, charity fundraising events and lots of socialising.
We are proud to be located in Sheffield, just off J34 of the M1 offering easy road and rail access from Leeds, Manchester and the Midlands. Sheffield itself enjoys wealth of facilities including world class sporting facilities, stunning theatres and galleries, shopping, restaurants and incredible parks and green spaces - all on the doorstep of the beautiful Peak District National Park. We love it here.
Please apply via the Apply Now button or click Email this job to a friend to refer someone you know.
For a confidential chat about this role please call our Recruiter Hannah Burton on +44 (0)114 2426766 or email firstname.lastname@example.org