Sumo Digital is one of the UK's most prolific and secure independent game developers with a talented team of over 280 staff currently based in Sheffield. A second UK studio in Nottingham opened in March 2016 and has rapidly grown to a 45 strong team with many fantastic new opportunities on the horizon.
Since our inception in 2003 we have had a string of successful titles across all gaming platforms for partners that include Microsoft, SEGA, Sony, Disney and many more.
Our most recent successes include Forza Horizon 2 (Xbox 360), LittleBigPlanet 3 (PlayStation 4, and PlayStation 3), Disney Infinity 3.0 Toy Box Speedway (multi-platform), and our first self-published title Snake Pass (multi-platform). We are also incredibly proud to be working on the highly anticipated Crackdown 3 (Xbox One) and Dead Island 2 (multi-platform) plus several other exciting but yet unannounced projects.
2017 will be Sumo’s biggest and best year ever. Come and be part of it.
Sumo Sheffield are looking for a talented animators, capable of creating dynamic and compelling character animation (including hand-keyed and/or motion capture based) as required by the project.
The ideal candidate will enjoy being involved in a friendly hard working environment, able to communicate well with team members as well as the other development disciplines.
• Develop production quality animation assets; key framed or motion capture in a variety of styles ranging from realistic to fantasy
• Exhibit a strong understanding of the fundamental principles of animation
• Perform research and reference gathering to acquire the necessary knowledge to perform assigned animation tasks
• Meet production schedules and deadlines
• Contribute to the conceptualization of character behaviours and abilities
• Demonstrate an enthusiastic and constructive response to direction and criticism
• Communicate effectively with team members
• Thorough understanding of animation fundamentals for human and non-human characters
• Understanding of Character creation process from concept, to modelling and final rigging
• Demonstrable experience in creating animation of a high standard while maintaining visual and functional specifications for game mechanics.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Excellent knowledge or at least one major 3d package (ie Maya or 3DSMax).
• Basic knowledge of Maya and Max essential.
• Basic understanding of the game development process.
Of Interest but not essential:
• Game engine experience (UE4 among others).
• Interest in playing games and current technical trends in the medium.
• Character modelling, texturing and rigging skills
• Traditional Animation Background
• Traditional Art Background
• Technical aptitude and experience
• Character conceptualization skills
Sumo has a wide variety of projects in development and for an Animator that means working on something that could vary in style from cartoony to realistic and any point in between. We require someone who is flexible in both talent and mindset
We offer a super benefits package including generous holidays, flexitime and excellent employee benefits. Further perks include our legendary annual Sumo Big Day Out, plus epic Christmas parties, money on your birthday, on site free gym and free fruit for everyone! Our new, regular studio Game Jams are a highlight - staff spend a full day developing and pitching their own game ideas for possible development by Sumo.
Our environment is relaxed, friendly and built upon the basis of every team member having the opportunity to shine and have a realisable input into the games we create. We are a very happy ship with lots of incredibly nice people that partake in shared interest groups, lunchtime clubs, charity fundraising events and lots of socialising.
We are proud to be located in Sheffield, just off J34 of the M1 offering easy road and rail access from Leeds, Manchester and the Midlands. Sheffield itself enjoys wealth of facilities including world class sporting facilities, stunning theatres and galleries, shopping, restaurants and incredible parks and green spaces - all on the doorstep of the beautiful Peak District National Park. We love it here.
Please apply via the Apply Now button or click Email this job to a friend to refer someone you know.
For a confidential chat about this role please call our Recruitment Team on +44 (0)114 2426766.