Sumo Digital is one of the UK's most prolific and secure independent game developers with a talented team of over 280 staff currently based in Sheffield. A second UK studio in Nottingham opened in 2016 and now has many fantastic new opportunities on the horizon.
Since our inception in 2003 we have had a string of successful titles across all gaming platforms for partners that include Microsoft, SEGA, Sony, Disney and many more.
Our most recent successes include Forza Horizon 2 (Xbox 360), LittleBigPlanet 3 (PlayStation 4, and PlayStation 3), Disney Infinity 3.0 Toy Box Speedway (multi-platform), and our first self-published title Snake Pass (multi-platform). We are also incredibly proud to be working on the highly anticipated Crackdown 3 (Xbox One) and Dead Island 2 (multi-platform) plus several other exciting but yet unannounced projects.
Opening in March 2016, Sumo Digital’s Nottingham studio has grown steadily, featuring highly experienced industry talent covering a wide range of disciplines. The studio’s first full project is now well under way, with many more exciting opportunities also ahead.
2018 will be Sumo’s biggest and best year ever. Come and be part of it.
We are looking for an enthusiastic and talented game designer to join the Sumo Nottingham design team to help us with an exciting new project.
Our ideal candidate will have great game design instincts and a desire to learn. Industry experience is preferred but not essential.
• Implement existing game and level designs using a mix of industry-standard and in-house tools.
• Identify where the user experience can be improved in your own work and iterate until it provides a high-quality gameplay experience.
• Actively seek out feedback to improve the gameplay experience still further.
• Collaborate with code, art, animation and audio teams integrating content and features into your work.
• Play other people's work and provide constructive feedback.
Required Skills & Experience
• A clear understanding of game design mechanics across a range of genres.
• A good understanding of scripting and game logic.
• Experience with at least one current generation engine (UE4, Unity, CryEngine, Source etc.)
• A grasp of learning curves and pacing with the ability to refine your setups accordingly.
• A positive attitude towards feedback and using it to improve your work.
• Plenty of knowledge regarding current games and gaming trends.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Optional Skills & Experience
• Experience of game or level design for a commercial game developer.
• 3D modelling skills with packages such as 3D Max and Maya.
We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits and a generous holiday entitlement. The environment itself is relaxed, friendly and built upon the basis of every team member having ownership and a realisable input into the games we create.
We are proud to be located in Nottingham, just ten minutes’ walk from Nottingham train station and with good access to the north and the south via the M1. Nottingham itself benefits from a wealth of attractions, including a diverse range of bars and restaurants, several art galleries and a wide variety of cultural events.
Highlights include the Theatre Royal, the Nottingham Contemporary art gallery, the National Video Game Arcade and the Motorpoint Arena Nottingham. The annual GameCity festival takes place throughout Nottingham city centre, celebrating the culture, innovation and creativity of video games and their development.
Please apply via the Apply Now button or click Email this job to a friend to refer someone you know.
For a confidential chat about this role please call our Recruitment Team on +44 (0)114 2426766.